Monday, October 1, 2012

Breaking Habit


I wondered and keep on wondering if Godot will ever arrive? Will he/she/it ever arrive, not only in the play, but in my life? Even though Beckett insists that his play has no near relevance to God, I do believe the idea of eternity and religion was in the back of his head. During some lows and highs in my life I come to question God’s existence. Why do we attribute our wellbeing to His greatness or indeed our failures to His teachings?

Instead of being optimist like Vladimir, setting his faith on Godot and knowing that one day he will understand why he had to wait so long, I think more like Estragon. He keeps on complaining on time being wasted, waiting and waiting when change is not seen. God teaches us to let things happen, for in the future we will understand why. Yet in those times I question if it would not be better to stop the current and do something different.

As Vladimir and Estragon are waiting their lives go by without that worthwhile experience we all aim to achieve in life. As Estragon once suggests in the play they should leave their waiting spot and go visit the places they have always wanted to. The image above exemplifies my exact thinking in times when giving up seems right. Time is a constant, getting old as well the only way to free ourselves is by doing things differently. In the play, as I interpreted it, Beckett is upon questioning God, doubting how religious devotees live. Wrapping around that train of thought I shall say: God or Godot should not be found at the end, but through the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment